Thursday, August 5, 2010

WORD OF THE DAY - Thursday 05 August 2010 from Nikolaev, Ukraine

More wonderful surprises! When I was walking up the street on my way to Bible study, I decided to step into the Post Office and check our mail. There was one of those little gray notices in the box. That always gets us a little excited. Instead of carrying it all the way to the church meeting place, I turned around and brought it back to our apartment. Inside the box were 52 of those Hot Wheels cars that the boys at the Boys Home love so much. When I recently said something about this, Dean Sanders who is one of the elders at the Dalraida Church of Christ in Alabama, wanted more information. Apparently he must have just cleaned out the shelf at their local Walmart! The cost to ship the box was over $40 and we know how much these toys cost here, so it is one of those special gifts of love for these boys. When I called Galina to share the joy, she said "don't take them to the boys without me!" Several of the boys have not received an actual "Hot Wheels" toy, but some lookalikes that we pick up here. I’ll try to be patient and wait for Galina to get back before I present these to the boys. It’ll be hard. Well, just as I had opened the door to our apartment with that box of toys in one hand and my briefcase in the other, Vladimir opened his door and asked if I was coming or going. I explained that I was just dropping off the box and then would be on my way to our meeting with the church. He offered to give me a ride! He has a fairly new car with air-conditioning, and I suppose he noticed how drenched I am when I return from my walks around town. This was a very nice gesture, and we constantly pray that this nice couple will someday break down and agree to learn more about Jesus. So far when I make a suggestion, they look at me strangely and politely decline. Thank you for the prayers of faith regarding our work here in Nikolaev, Ukraine.
Our next door neighbors, Vladimir and Lyudmila just returned from a vacation to Cyprus with their daughter Julia who studies at a university in Kiev. They enjoyed it very much and were surprised at how much British influence still exists there even after the colonial period is long gone. Last night after I returned from our Wednesday night Bible study and prayer time, I got a call from Lyuda telling me to open the door. She was standing there with this beautiful bowl full of freshly cooked stuffed sweet peppers. The smell was awesome and I didn't waste any time diving into some real food for a change. Later I learned that Galina knew about this plan for Lyuda to help feed me while she is gone. They are wonderful neighbors and Sonya captured their hearts while she was here. They invited her many times to come and play at their apartment. What can I say; God definitely blessed us with good landlords who happen to be our next door neighbors.
Yesterday afternoon, I reposted one of our advertisements for the English classes using the Bible on one of the busy intersections adjacent to the park where many people spend time during the day. Young parents with their kids find this place especially inviting with its little playground. It is right next door to the building where we have our office/meeting place.
The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. (Acts 17:30 ESV)

Итак, оставляя времена неведения, Бог ныне повелевает людям всем повсюду покаяться. (Деяния 17:30 Russian)

Не зважаючи ж Бог на часи невідомости, ось тепер усім людям наказує, щоб скрізь каялися. (Деяния 17:30 Ukrainian)

Eternal and Powerful God, our Dear Father in Heaven ~ Thank you for the numerous blessings that greet us on this new day. Give us wisdom as we contemplate our duties toward our blessed Savior. Help all teachers and preachers to faithfully proclaim in a non-compromising manner, everything that is required for all people in order to be saved – including genuine repentance from sin. Give all believers courage regarding sin so that we will daily turn our eyes toward your joyful holiness and away from the darkness that drowns so many in hopeless sorrows. In the name of our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment