Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday 29 July 2010 from Mykolayiv, Ukraine

At our evening meeting yesterday, we only had Stepan and Lyuda to study about God's attributes. Stepan cannot see good with or without glasses. We have a giant print Russian Bible that helps a little. Lyuda patiently helps make sure that he finds the right page and verse. I am truly missing my partner Galina in so many ways. I have been praying for God's help with my memory of some Russian grammar that I studied too long ago. Russian words and phrases that I learned in my studies in Kenesaw, Khabarovsk and Magadan came out of my mouth. Lyuda and Stepan perhaps politely pretend they understand me. Now I can finally sympathize with the people that we so stupidly called "dummy" when I was a boy in North Carolina during the pre political correctness days. Now, I'm the "dummy" for not being able to speak more of the Ukrainian language of people where I am. However, Russian is used by nearly everyone here even though signs and documents are mostly in Ukrainian. So, I had best continue to brush up on my Russky tongue. There were even more people in the morning who stood in the hallway for a long time waiting on their turn with the soothsayer. Yesterday afternoon I prepared some New Testaments with my business card that has salvation's plan on the back. Perhaps some will at least have God's word to read while they wait to discuss their horoscope or whatever. Thank you for your many prayers and encouragement.

On my walk to the Constructors House of Culture where the church meets, which is a distance of 30 to 40 minutes by M2F power (Walter Hackshaw), lately I've been noticing the slightly older man pointing his finger at the two workers as they erect an addition to a shop. He walks with a cane and obviously has the plan well fixed in his mind. He was telling them to "be careful, be careful"! Two things about this incident struck me as monumental. First, the great spirit of optimism of Ukrainian people who have faced so many huge obstacles and yet continue to bounce back with optimistic hope. I'm not saying they don't grumble and complain along the way. That is what sometimes makes me think with my tongue in cheek, that Slavic people in general are some remnant of the lost tribes of Israel. Second, wouldn't if be wonderful if there appeared a great revival on the part of fathers and mothers, elders and preachers who would have God's word firmly planted in their minds and pass this along to the next generation with the same caution to "be careful, be careful" to do things according to God's instructions. Yes, it is some fodder for a sermon someday, somewhere - God willing.

So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied. (Acts 9:31 ESV)

Церкви же по всей Иудее, Галилее и Самарии были в покое, назидаясь и ходя в страхе Господнем; и, при утешении от Святаго Духа, умножались. (Деяния 9:31 Russian)

А Церква по всій Юдеї, і Галілеї, і Самарії мала мир, будуючись і ходячи в страсі Господньому, і сповнялася втіхою Духа Святого. (Деяния 9:31 Ukrainian)

Most Holy and Righteous God, our Dear Heavenly Father ~ Thank you for the fabulous gift of life on this new day that brings fresh opportunities and blessings from your providential care. Give us peace among the churches around the world that are devoted to following the doctrine of Christ and the apostles. Give us a keener sense of the comforting influence of your Holy Spirit in the spiritual and numerical growth of the church as we teach and obey the truth. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment