Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wednesday 28 July 2010 from Nikolaev, Ukraine

As I continued my walking tour that took me to new places to put up posters where people walk and stand waiting on transportation, I came upon another institution connected with the sea. This is a college where young men can go from high school and learn crafts connected with working on ships. As I understand it, they can enter after the 9th grade and receive a high school diploma and also be certified as a seaman or one of the below decks specialities. Galina wants all to know how much she appreciates the prayers as she provides round the clock care for her Mama Elena who came home from the hospital yesterday.

This building I had only seen from a distance while riding a route taxi. I mistakenly thought that the top of the spire was donned by a Soviet star which is typical of that era's architecture. However, when I approached the building to get a better view, I noticed that it is a portrayal of an old Ukrainian sea going vessel. Large sailing ships were built in Nikolaev for the fleet of the Russian czars. This is an institution devoted to educating engineers in the science of shipbuilding. I thought about a possible connection between Nikolaev and Magadan as brave Russian explorers discovered the two magnificent (albeit frozen part of the year) natural harbors.

This is just another one of the many olde buildings around Nikolaev.

This beautiful fountain is near the complex of government buildings. It looked very inviting yesterday as a place to cool off under the spray. I kept my distance to care for my camera and osters that I'm plastering everywhere.

This is one of the areas that I combed since there are usually many people visiting here for the great view of one of the cities rivers and the large shipyards. The ship building and repair business is mostly down to a trickle. There are some other locations like this around the city. Mykolayiv has the capacity to turn out large ships, but there is not much demand at the present time. I read reports in the news that Russia is considering expanding their fleet with some new vessels. Ukraine stands to gain by this expansion of the Black Sea fleet due to the much closer ties between the two nations that now exists between the leaders.

At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. (Acts 9:20 NIV)

И тотчас стал проповедывать в синагогах об Иисусе, что Он есть Сын Божий. (Деяния 9:20 Russian)

І він зараз зачав у синагогах звіщати про Ісуса, що Він Божий Син, (Деяния 9:20 Ukrainian)

Our Dear God and Father in Heaven ~ Thank you for the spectacular gift of life on this new day that arrives with even more pleasant surprises as we consider our future under your watchful care. Give us wisdom so that we will not only intellectually understand repentance, but that we will follow Paul’s example and begin to do the right things immediately. Bless leaders in the churches around the world to do everything possible to encourage the proclamation that Jesus of Nazareth is truly Christ, the Son of God. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment